An Auto Mechanic, or Service Technician, fixes vehicles and replaces their parts for customers. Their duties include inspecting the vehicle’s mechanical components and its engine, diagnosing problems with vehicles and performing maintenance and repair work on cars, trucks and other vehicles.
Auto mechanics diagnose, repair, and help prevent problems with vehicle performance and ensure that vehicles operate in a safe, reliable manner. These professionals may also be known as mechanics or automotive technicians.
- Location: Vancouver, BC
- Salary: 31.00 hourly for 30 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Weekend, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- vacancies: 2 vacancies
We are searching for an analytical, enthusiastic auto mechanic to help our clients resolve issues with vehicle performance and appearance. The Auto Mechanic will speak to clients about the performance and history of their vehicles, inspect mechanical and electronic components, diagnose issues, and discuss possible resolutions with clients. You will also maintain shop equipment and generate estimates and timelines for repairs.
To be a successful auto mechanic, you should be focused on providing high-quality service to clients as you help them identify, repair, and avert issues that may affect the performance or longevity of their vehicles. You should be thorough, reliable, honest, logical, and motivated.
Auto Mechanic Responsibilities:
- Working with the manager and other mechanics to diagnose and repair the mechanical and electrical components of vehicles.
- Listening to clients to learn more about vehicle history, potential problems, and the services they would like to receive.
- Performing test drivers, inspections, and other diagnostic tests on vehicles to identify where problems exists and determine which parts need to be repaired or replaced.
- Completing preventative maintenance on vehicles, such as performing oil changes, flushing and replacing fluids, and replacing brakes.
- Repairing damage to the body of the vehicle and washing and painting the vehicle’s exterior.
- Generating timelines and estimates for repairs and discussing options with clients.
- Inspecting internal systems and controls to ensure the vehicle is operating properly and in compliance with state regulations.
- Maintaining accurate records relating to clients, their vehicles, parts, and service history.
- Using shop equipment as instructed, performing regular maintenance and repairs as needed.
- Engaging in learning opportunities to update job knowledge and technical skills.
Auto Mechanic Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Addition education, certifications, or experience is generally preferred.
- Proven ability to diagnose and repair vehicles and follow safety instructions and directions.
- Proficiency with hand tools and other equipment.
- Excellent active listening, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Self-motivated, independent, and reliable with a strong work ethic.
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
- or equivalent experience
1 year to less than 2 years
- Inspect and test mechanical units to locate faults and malfunctions
- Inspect motor in operation, road test motor vehicles and test automotive systems and components
- Adjust, repair or replace parts and components of automotive systems
- Diagnose faults and malfunctions and confirm findings with supervisor to determine whether to repair or replace unit
- Test and adjust repaired systems to manufacturer’s specifications
- Estimate parts and labour costs
- Perform scheduled maintenance service
- Test and adjust units to specifications
- Advise customers on work performed and future repair requirements
- Complete reports to record problems and work performed
- Provide customer service
Experience and specialization
Area of specialization
- Engine repair
- Diesel engines
- Brake system
- Automatic transmission
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Manual dexterity
- Client focus
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent or a temporary resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
Here is what you must include in your application:
- References attesting experience