A Cashier, or Retail Cashier, is responsible for processing cash, debit, credit and check transactions using a cash register or other point-of-sale system in a retail environment. Their duties include balancing the cash register, making change, recording purchases, processing returns and scanning items for sale.
- Location: 115 Saskatchewan Ave EastPortage la Prairie, MBR1N 0L7
- Salary: 13.50 hourly for 35 to 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Evening, Night, Weekend, Shift, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- vacancies: 4 vacancies
We are looking for an efficient, courteous cashier who possesses excellent customer service skills. The cashier will scan the customer’s selections, ensure that prices and quantities are accurate, accept payments, issue receipts, answer inquiries, and provide helpful information to customers products, promotions, or item location. You will also respond to complaints, process refunds or exchanges of items, and maintain a clean workspace.
To succeed as a cashier, you should have a strong work ethic and high level of accuracy. You should be responsible, attentive to customer needs, and committed to providing excellent service.
- Welcoming customers, answering their questions, helping them locate items, and providing advice or recommendations.
- Operating scanners, scales, cash registers, and other electronics.
- Balancing the cash register and generating reports for credit and debit sales.
- Accepting payments, ensuring all prices and quantities are accurate and proving a receipt to every customer.
- Processing refunds and exchanges, resolving complaints.
- Bagging or wrapping purchases to ensure safe transport.
- Following all store procedures regarding coupons, gift cards, or the purchase of specific items, such as alcohol or cigarettes.
- Maintaining a clean workspace.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Customer service or cashier experience.
- Ability to handle transactions accurately and responsibly.
- High level of energy with strong customer service skills.
- Basic math and computer skills.
- Ability to stand, walk, lift heavy items, and work with other team members in a fast-paced environment to provide excellent service.
- Attention to detail.
- Helpful, courteous approach to resolving complaints.
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
- or equivalent experience
1 to less than 7 months
- Willing to relocate
- Retail business
- Operate cash register
- Process money, cheques and credit/debit card payments
- Scan items
- Tabulate total payment for goods or services required
- Receive payment for goods or services
- Calculate daily/shift payments received and reconcile with total sales
- Greet customers
- Wrap or place merchandise in bags
- Provide customer service
- Assist customers with self-checkout
- Participate in promotional activities
Experience and specialization
Computer and technology knowledge
- Electronic cash register
- Price scanner
- Computerized inventory record keeping and re-ordering system
- Public transportation is available
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail
- Excellent oral communication
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Persons with disabilities, Newcomers to Canada, Veterans, Visible minorities, Youth
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply