Kitchen helpers perform various cleaning, maintenance, preparation, and stocking duties in the kitchens of restaurants, hospitals, schools, and nursing homes. They wash dishes, help cooks prepare meal ingredients, and clean kitchens.
- Location: 1 Water streetSouth Baymouth, ONP0P 1Z0
- Salary: 15.50 hourly for 32 to 48 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
Part time leading to full time
- Day, Evening, Night, Weekend, Shift, Overtime, On Call, Flexible Hours, Morning, 09:00 to 17:00
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Financial benefits, Other benefits
- Vacancies: 5 vacancies
We are looking to hire a hard-working kitchen helper to clean, stock, and maintain the kitchen as well as help with the preparation of meal ingredients. The kitchen helper’s responsibilities include retrieving ingredients from the refrigerator, freezer, and stockroom, measuring ingredients as per the cook’s instructions, and removing leftovers from patrons’ plates, bowls, and glasses. You should also be able to ensure that all work areas are properly sanitized.
To be successful as a kitchen helper, you should demonstrate sound knowledge of proper food handling procedures and remove expired or spoiled ingredients from the refrigerator, freezer, and stockroom. Ultimately, an outstanding kitchen helper should be able to follow all food health and safety regulations and display exceptional organizational skills to ensure the timely completion of kitchen duties.
Kitchen Helper Responsibilities:
- Preparing meal ingredients for the cook, which includes washing, peeling, cutting, and slicing ingredients.
- Assisting kitchen staff to unload food supplies from delivery trucks.
- Properly washing and drying all dishes, utensils, cooking instruments and cutting boards.
- Neatly putting away all utensils, cooking instruments, dishes, and cutting boards in their respective places.
- Packing take-out orders as needed.
- Removing garbage, replacing garbage bags, and washing garbage cans.
- Mopping and sweeping the kitchen areas as required.
- Storing ingredients and food items according to food safety standards.
Kitchen Helper Responsibilities:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Proven experience helping in kitchen settings.
- A food handler’s license.
- The ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- The ability to safely use kitchen equipment and appliances.
- Sound knowledge of food safety standards and procedures.
- Strong communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- No degree, certificate or diploma
- Rural area
- Bring clean dishes, flatware and other items to serving areas and set tables
- Clean and sanitize items such as dishwasher mats, carts and waste disposal units
- Clear and clean tables, trays and chairs
- Load buspans and trays
- Place dishes in storage area
- Replenish condiments and other supplies at tables and serving areas
- Sanitize and wash dishes and other items by hand
- Scour pots and pans
- Keep records of the quantities of food used
- Package take-out food
- Portion and wrap foods
- Prepare, heat and finish simple food items
- Stock refrigerators and salad bars
- Use manual and electrical appliances to clean, peel, slice and trim foodstuffs
- Clean and sanitize kitchen including work surfaces, cupboards, storage areas, appliances and equipment
- Handle and store cleaning products
- Receive, unpack and store supplies in refrigerators, freezers, cupboards and other storage areas
- Remove kitchen garbage and trash
- Sharpen kitchen knives
- Sweep, mop, wash and polish floors
- Wash, peel and cut vegetables and fruit
Experience and specialization
Equipment and machinery experience
- Deep fryer
- Own transportation
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Fast-paced environment
- Handling heavy loads
- Repetitive tasks
- Standing for extended periods
- Team player
- Free parking available
- Learning/training paid by employer
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Persons with disabilities, Newcomers to Canada, Youth
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply