A plasterer is a tradesman or tradesperson who works with plaster, such as forming a layer of plaster on an interior wall or plaster decorative moldings on ceilings or walls. The process of creating plasterwork, called plastering, has been used in building construction for centuries.
- Location: Richmond, BC
- Salary: 27.25 hourly for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Health benefits, Long term benefits, Other benefits
- vacancies: 1 vacancy
Plasterers apply and fix plasterboard partitions, suspended ceilings, fire rating systems, acoustic tiles, and composite wall linings to buildings, and apply decorative and protective coverings of plaster, cement and similar materials to the interiors and exteriors of structures. Plasterers are skilled tradesmen who apply plaster and decorative finishes to interior and exterior walls and ceilings. They form part of a building or contracting team and can be skilled in various specialized applications such as lathing and plastering on wooden timbers and dry lining plasterboard.
We are searching for a skilled plasterer to work on our construction projects and to deliver excellent plastering to our clients. In this role, you will be providing quotes, consulting with clients, mixing materials, applying plasters, and reporting any building issues.
To ensure success as a plasterer you need to skilled at internal and external applications, work independently, and be able to understand the client’s desires. A top-notch plasterer has knowledge of different plaster types, both wet and dry, and be able to apply browning, bonding, thistle, carlite, and dri-coat as needed.
- Quoting clients and other stakeholders on job costs.
- Discussing project plans with relevant stakeholders and clients.
- Examining and priming surfaces for plastering.
- Selecting the appropriate plastering materials for different sites.
- Protecting non-plastering surfaces with appropriate materials.
- Applying different plasters to exterior and interior surfaces.
- Fixing and repairing previous plastering work when necessary.
- Reporting any structural issues to the site foreman.
- Mixing and preparing mortar, plasters, and other finishes.
- Consulting with other contractors to ensure project deadlines are met timeously.
- Trade-school qualification or proof of apprenticeship with a certified plasterer/builder.
- One years’ experience as a plasterer or in a similar role.
- Knowledge of different plastering techniques and materials.
- Good communication and professional skills.
- The ability to work as part of a team sometimes outdoors in harsh weather conditions.
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of material purchasing processes is beneficial.
- Ability to provide plastering quotations and cost estimates to team members.
- Experience in using several types of plastering materials.
- Knowledge of decorative plastering and design are preferential.
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
- or equivalent experience
2 years to less than 3 years
Work site environment
- At heights
- Various locations
- Apply, level and smooth coats of plaster
- Clean and prepare surfaces
- Cure freshly plastered surfaces
- Finish corners and angles and create decorative designs in finish coat, if required
- Mix plaster ingredients to desired consistency
- Mould and install ornamental plaster panels, cornices and trim
- Spray acoustic or texture materials over walls and ceilings
- Work at heights, on scaffolding or swing stages
- Erect and install scaffolding, falsework and other working platforms
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Handling heavy loads
- Manual dexterity
- Physically demanding
- Repetitive tasks
- Sound discrimination
- Standing for extended periods
- Tight deadlines
- Up to 23 kg (50 lbs)
- Team player
- Health care plan
Long term benefits
- Group insurance benefits
- Free parking available
- Learning/training paid by employer
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Persons with disabilities, Newcomers to Canada, Veterans, Visible minorities
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent or a temporary resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply