Menu Close

Texas Police Commander says On-scene commander waited for a key ‘that was never needed’

Texas Police Comander says on-scene commander waited for a key ‘that was never needed’

Texas Police Commander says the on-scene commander waited for a key “that was never needed.” This was as he described the police response to the Uvalde school shooting as an “abject failure” on Tuesday.

He also said that officers could have caught the gunman in three minutes. That is, if they hadn’t been waiting for “a key that wasn’t needed” when the gunman walked into Robb Elementary School.


An 18-year-old male killed 19 children and two teachers at Robb Elementary School on May 24.

Col. Steve McCraw, head of the Texas Department of Public Safety. “There is substantial evidence that the law enforcement response to the attack at Robb Elementary was an abject failure. It is contrary to everything we’ve learned over the previous 20 years since the Columbine massacre.”

“There was an adequate number of armed police officers wearing body armor. That is enough to isolate, distract and neutralize the gunman three minutes after he entered the west building,” McCraw stated.

The on-scene commander’s decision to prioritize officers’ safety over kids’ safety was the only thing that prevented committed police officers at the corridor from breaching rooms 111 and 112.

“One error; fourteen minutes and eight seconds,” the director said of the young students. That is, students waiting in a classroom for police to save them. “Officers were waiting for a “key that was not needed,” according to McCraw.

He stated, “I have very good grounds to believe it was never secured. Why not check to see if the door is locked by attempting it?”

“There was clearly insufficient training conducted in this circumstance, period. Because the on-scene commander made bad judgments,” McCraw fumed.

Texas Police Commander says the on-scene commander waited for a key “that was never needed.”

Also, surveillance footage showed that the police never tried to open the door. That is the door to the Texas elementary school where 19 kids were killed last month by a gunman.

The San Antonio Express-News reported that a law enforcement official involved in the investigation into law enforcement’s response to the tragedy said, “Surveillance footage shows that the police never tried to open the door to the two classrooms at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde in the 77 minutes between the time the gunman entered the rooms and massacred 21 people and the time officers finally breached the door and killed him.”

Investigators think that the 18-year-old gunman who killed 19 students and two teachers at the school on May 24 could not have locked the doors from the inside of the connected classrooms.


Police may have assumed that the door was locked. This is because the doors are apparently only able to be locked or opened from the outside. According to the report, it is unknown whether the classroom door through which the 18-year-old Hispanic man was holed up was even locked.

It made no difference if the door was locked since “officers had access to a ‘halligan’ — a crowbar-like tool that could have unlocked the entrance to the classrooms even if it was locked during the whole incident.

The way in which the tragedy was handled has come under close scrutiny. Before running into the school to save her two children, one woman claimed she was temporarily detained by U.S. Marshals.

Angeli Rose Gomez’s observation at the scene

The Wall Street Journal reported that mother Angeli Rose Gomez stressed that “the police officers on the scene were doing nothing.” They were only observing the barrier from outside. They weren’t entering or going anywhere.

Gomez said “she was one of several parents waiting outside the school who began pressing police and other law enforcement to enter the school sooner—first respectfully, and then with increased urgency.”

She said that after a short time, U.S. Marshals put her in handcuffs and told her she was being held because she was getting in the way of an investigation.

The woman said that she managed to persuade local Uvalde police officers that she knew how to get the marshals to release her handcuffs because she was desperate to go rescue her children.


The report stated that after being released from her handcuffs, Gomez took a step back from the throng, hopped the school fence and raced inside to rescue her two children. She ran out of the building with them.

A U.S. Marshals Service spokesperson later claimed that no parents were handcuffed.

Check out: Sperm Donor Files for Parental Rights for Four of his Children Despite having Signed a ‘No Contact’ Agreement 

Share your thought on Texas Police Commander says on-scene commander waited for a key ‘that was never needed’

Leave a Reply